Monday, December 10, 2012

Bible Study: Spiritual Hunger

Cultivating Spiritual Hunger: 
Six Satisfying Sources from the Psalms
June 28,20081
 A pdf of this document can be found here.

Hunger may not be the best topic to discuss right before lunch, especially if it turns your attention to your growling stomach. Furthermore, the title of this session may seem odd, as hunger is not something we need to develop and which may, even now, be growing on its own. Nevertheless, that is the topic of this study, albeit not cultivating physical hunger but Cultivating Spiritual Hunger.

As I said, most of us do not have to cultivate our physical appetite; quite the opposite, we need to curb our physical appetite. We eat too much or eat the wrong things. We put on weight without effort and need to limit our consumption, which we do periodically by reducing our caloric intake. This vigilance pays off, though, because it enables us to maintain the ideal body weight we all currently hold.

In contrast, most of us do need to cultivate our spiritual appetite. We eat too little or eat the wrong things. We take in a sermon once a week, perhaps with a SS side dish. We may supplement that meager diet by watching a religious program or by reading a page in a daily devotional, but there is still too little nutritional value, and we remain spiritual lightweights.

Most of us have enough physical food to eat. At times, we may be hungry, but we are not starving. Still, if you have ever had to fast before a blood test, which usually means not eating after a certain time the night before, the mere prospect of delaying your next meal, even for a few hours, is often enough to focus your attention on food, especially if you see other people eating and know that you cannot.

Unfortunately, forgoing spiritual food does not have the same effect. In fact, denying your soul often has the opposite effect. It deadens your spiritual appetite. Instead of expectancy, depriving yourself of spiritual nutrition makes you complacent, less interested in spiritual things. As a result, you do not grow and, in fact, become spiritually stunted.

Whether you are on a spiritual low-calorie or no-calorie diet, you need to develop a spiritual hunger if you want to experience spiritual growth. Unlike physical hunger (and physical growth), spiritual hunger does not arise naturally. It requires intention. It also requires direction, if your efforts are to be most productive. You must ingest the right things, what is spiritually nutritious, if you would have the right result, which is spiritual growth.

Just as certain foods can stimulate your desire for more—the concept behind appetizers and Lays potato chips ("Nobody can eat just one")—so some spiritual sources of nourishment can stimulate your desire for more. In other words, what may not arise naturally, you can encourage: 

To foster your spiritual hunger, you need to feed your spiritual hunger.

It is like not recognizing you are hungry until you actually start eating, then, suddenly realizing you were famished. So it is spiritually. By engaging in the things of God, you soon find yourself enjoying those things, wanting more, and wondering why you ever neglected them. 

To help focus our study, we will concentrate on Six Satisfying Sources from the Psalms,2 specifically those written by David, who had a well-developed spiritual hunger, being "a man after [God's] own heart" (1 Sam 13:14).
  • Hunger for the person of God
  • Hunger for the presence of God
  • Hunger for the praise of God
  • Hunger for the plan of God
  • Hunger for the precepts of God
  • Hunger for the people of God
As we proceed through the list, I will address two technical questions about the context for each passage, elements we do not always consider as we read the psalms but that offer clues for understanding them:
David composed psalms for different occasions, and the occasion (or a hint of it) for a particular psalm may be preserved in the superscription, the fine print that sometimes appears before verse 1. So, the first question about context is...
  • What does the superscription reveal about the historical setting of the psalm that helps us to understand it?
David also composed psalms in a variety of common and recognizable literary forms, called genre, such as a lament, a hymn, or an expression of confidence. So, the second question about context is...
  • What does the genre reveal about how God's people used the psalm that might help us to use it?
After answering those questions, it will be your turn. We will assume that, like David, you are also after God's own heart, that your hunger models David's hunger, perhaps not in all aspects but, at least, in some. I will ask you to answer three questions for each type of spiritual hunger:
  • How do you stimulate it? . . . What will arouse that desire?
  • How do you show it? . . . What will that desire look like when aroused?
  • How do you satisfy it? . . . What action will fulfill that desire?
David does not answer these questions; he simply expresses his spiritual hunger, leaving it to us, his readers, to decide if we want those same desires to motivate us. By answering these questions, though, we can use spiritual hunger to foster our spiritual growth.

The primary source of spiritual nourishment is, of course, the Lord Himself. If you want to cultivate your spiritual hunger, then you must focus on, long for, and delight in Him more than anyone or anything else. You must...

Hunger for the person of God (Ps 63:1).3


[D-LI] Ps 63:1 O God, You are my God; I shall seek You earnestly; My soul thirsts for You, my flesh yearns for You, in a dry and weary land where there is no water.
Interpretation
  • The superscription says that David composed this "psalm" "when he was in the wilderness of Judah," probably during his initial flight from King Saul, who views David as a threat to the throne.4
  • The composition has the common form of an individual (versus communal) lament (like Ps 143 below), as David reflects on his troubles but affirms his commitment to the Lord and, in v. 1, his yearning for the person of God.
[David] feels his need of [God] with a thirst and a longing that possess his whole being ("soul...and flesh"). (Leupold 1969:464)
David is not satisfied with lackluster faith or mediocre commitment. 
His desire for God drives him, compels him to seek the Lord, even when (especially when) other things seem more immediately pressing.
Application
  • How do you stimulate, show, and satisfy a hunger for the person of God?
While it is possible to be acquainted with God without getting close to Him, if you hunger to know the person of God, having an intimate relationship requires you to be where He is. You must...


Hunger for the presence (or place) of God (Ps 27:4).5


[D-CI] Ps 27:4 One thing I have asked from the LORD, that I shall seek: That I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the LORD and to meditate in His temple.
Interpretation
  • The superscription says only that this poem is "of David"; there is no additional information.
  • The composition has the common form of an individual (versus communal) expression of confidence (like Ps 16, below), as David reflects on his troubles but affirms his assurance that the Lord will deliver him and, here in v. 4, asserts his yearning to abide in the presence of God.
The supreme blessedness of a life entirely devoted, like that of the priests, to the service of God, [made a profound impression upon] David, who was compelled so often to wander at a distance from the sanctuary. (Perowne 1989:267)
There is no temple at the moment, so you cannot approach the physical presence God manifested there, but you can approximate that closeness by drawing near to Him in prayer.
Application
  • How do you stimulate, show, and satisfy a hunger for the presence of God?
When you stand in the presence of God, you must respond in some way, and the proper response—the only response—is worship; anything less is unworthy of Him. You must...

Hunger for the praise of God (Ps 145:1-2).6


[D-H] Ps 145:1 I will extol You, my God, O King, and I will bless Your name forever and ever. 2 Every day I will bless You, and I will praise Your name forever and ever.
Interpretation
  • The superscription calls this a "praise, of David," which indicates the author's attitude and purpose as he writes.
  • The composition has the common form of a hymn (like Ps 19 below), written for Israel's liturgy, expressing the goodness and greatness of God, and opening with the evident desire to recognize publicly His name (reputation).
When one has come to the point of knowing the Lord in a personal way, the desire to sing His praise and sing it often becomes very strong. (Leupold 1969:975)
[T]he heart lifted up to God, and full of the thoughts of God, can no more conceive that its praise should cease, than that God Himself should cease to be. (Perowne 1989:470)
Christians often confine their worship to church, as if only one day (or one hour) a week fulfills their religious obligation. For David, worship is a daily affair, one he intends to continue for a very long time.
Application
  • How do you stimulate, show, and satisfy a hunger for the praise of God?
If you want to succeed, to ensure that your efforts are not in vain, you must pay attention to what God is doing and align the course of your life to move in the same direction He is moving. You must...


Hunger for the plan (or program) of God (Ps 143:5).7


[D-LI] Ps 143:5 I remember the days of old; I meditate on all Your doings; I muse on the work of Your hands. [6 I stretch out my hands to You; my soul [longs] for You, as a parched land. Selah.]
Interpretation
  • The superscription calls this "A Psalm of David" but does not elaborate further.
  • The composition has the common form of an individual (versus communal) lament (like Ps 63 above), as David sees his enemies at work but knows the Lord is also at work and, in v. 5, expresses his hunger for the plan of God (as well as for the person of God in v. 6).
[R]eflecting upon those things which God has done in the past... .is an effective way of getting one's bearings [because] God does not change. (Leupold 1969:965)
By studying how God acted in the past, you learn about His character and—because He is consistent—you learn how He is likely to act now and in the future.
Application
  • How do you stimulate, show, and satisfy a hunger for the plan of God?
In addition to advancing toward God's long-term goals, it is necessary to intensify your regular commitment to Him with short-term gains of increasing obedience. You must...

Hunger for the precepts of God (Ps 19:10).8


[D-H] Ps 19:10 They are more desirable than gold, yes, than much fine gold sweeter also than honey and the drippings of the honeycomb.
Interpretation
  • The superscription states that David wrote this "psalm" "for the choir director", indicating that it was for corporate worship.9
  • The composition has the common form of a hymn (like Ps 145 above), perhaps two hymns (or two stanzas), written for Israel's liturgy and extolling two facets of God's revelation, the general revelation of God's creation and, in this verse, the special revelation—and particular attraction -of God's commands.
As for true value, there is no gold that can be compared with it; and the sweetest of the honey is inferior to the attractive taste of the law that God gives to His people. (Leupold 1969:182)
The extent of your commitment to God—how much you love Him, how far you will go to please Him—is evident in the extent of your obedience to God, in the price you place on His precepts.
Application
  • How do you stimulate, show, and satisfy a hunger for the precepts of God?
Your spiritual experience is not isolated from that of other believers who, like you, have the same spiritual appetites and with whom you can join in devotion to God. You must...

Hunger for the people of God (Ps 16:3).


[D-C!] Ps 16:3 As for the saints who are in the [land], they are the majestic ones in whom is all my delight. 
Interpretation
  • The superscription calls this "A Mikhtam of David," presumably a musical term but one of unknown meaning.
  • While there is no identifiable setting, no particular event that clearly inspired this psalm, the composition has the common form of an expression of individual confidence in God (like Ps 27 above) and of profound appreciation for the people of God.
In reference to these saints the writer indicates that he has a high regard for them, for he knows himself to be of one mind with them.... He cannot help but take pleasure in them and in their attitude.... This is simply one of the many aspects of the communion of saints: they do delight in godly fellowship with one another. (Leupold 1969:148)
When I stand at the back of the sanctuary after a service, waiting to greet people, I am both encouraged and discouraged.
  • I am encouraged by the fact that they are often in no hurry to leave but enjoy spending time in conversation with one another; such interaction is a healthy sign.
  • I am discouraged by the fact that they do leave, that, having done their time, they move on to matters unrelated to the congregation or to the day they supposedly devote to God.
Application
  • How do you stimulate, show, and satisfy a hunger for the people of God?
While physical hunger is not something you need to develop, because it comes naturally, cultivating spiritual hunger does not come naturally and, in fact, requires some effort to stimulate. To that end, we have considered six kinds of spiritual hunger and how you can develop them.
  • Hunger for the person of God
  • Hunger for the presence of God
  • Hunger for the praise of God
  • Hunger for the plan of God
  • Hunger for the precepts of God
  • Hunger for the people of God
This is not an exhaustive list, but it does illustrate what should be uppermost in your mind as you go through life. Remember that every kind of spiritual hunger is not always equally strong. David did not treat all of them in a single psalm but highlighted the most prominent ones in his particular situation (two, or three at most).

Your particular situation will probably bring one or two elements into sharper relief than others. At any given moment, though, your spiritual hunger should be motivating you to deepen your devotion to God, which will ultimately and completely fulfill your spiritual appetite.10 As Jesus said...
Matt 5:6 Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, [because] they shall be satisfied.
Are you being satisfied?

Bibliography

  • Leupold, H.C., 1969, Exposition of Psalms, Grand Rapids: Baker Book House, reprint.
  • Perowne, J.J. Stewart, 1989, Commentary on the Psalms, 2 vols. in 1, Grand Rapids: Kregel Publications, reprint.
  • Sabourin, Leopold, 1974, The Psalms: Their Origin and Meaning. New York: Alba House.

Endnotes

(1) I presented this study for the Appalachian Association meeting at the Lost Creek SDB Church (WV). 

(2) Letters in square brackets before each reference indicate authorship: [A]saph, [D]avid, [K]orah, [?] Anonymous. Letters in square brackets after a hyphen indicate genre: [H]ymn, [L]ament [I]ndividual, [C]onfidence [I]ndividual (Sabourin 1974:443-445). All biblical passages are from the NAS.
(3) Other passages about hungering for the person of God include: 
[D] Ps 16:2 I said to the LORD, "You are my Lord; I have no good besides You." 
[D] Ps 37:4 Delight yourself in the LORD; and He will give you the desires of your heart. 
[K] Ps 42:1 As the deer pants for the water brooks, so my soul pants for You, 0 God. 
[A] Ps 73:25 Whom have I in heaven [but You]? And besides You, I desire nothing on earth. 
[?] Ps 119:2 How blessed are those... who seek Him with all [their] heart.... 10 With all my heart I have sought You; Do not let me wander from Your commandments. 
[?] Ps 130:6 My soul [waits] for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; [indeed, more than] the watchmen for the morning. 
[D] Ps 143:6 I stretch out my hands to You; my soul t longs l for You, as a parched land.
(4) Relevant passages may include:
1 Sam 23:7 When it was told Saul that David had come to Keilah, Saul said, "God has delivered him into my hand, for he shut himself in by entering a city with double gates and bars." 8 So Saul summoned all the people for war, to go down to Keilah to besiege David and his men.... 14 David stayed in the wilderness in the strongholds, and remained in the hill country in the wilderness of Ziph. And Saul sought him every day, but God did not deliver him into his hand.
(5) Other passages about hungering for the presence/place of God include:
[D-CI] Ps 16:11 You will make known to me the path of life; In Your presence is fullness of joy; In Your right hand there are pleasures forever.
[D] Ps 26:8 0 LORD, I love the habitation of Your house and the place where Your glory dwells.
[D] Ps 27:4 One thing I have asked from the LORD, that I shall seek: That I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the LORD and to meditate in His temple.
[K] Ps 42:2 My soul thirsts for God, for the living God; When shall I come and appear before God?
[?] Ps 43:3 0 send out Your light and Your truth, let them lead me; Let them bring me to Your holy hill and to Your dwelling places.
[D] Ps 61:4 Let me dwell in Your tent forever; Let me take refuge in the shelter of Your wings. Selah.
[D] Ps 69:9a For zeal for Your house has consumed me....
[K] Ps 84:1 How lovely are Your dwelling places, O LORD of hosts! 2 My soul longed and even yearned for the courts of the LORD; My heart and my flesh sing for joy to the living God.... 4 How blessed are those who dwell in Your house! They are ever praising You.
(6) Other passages about hungering for the praise of God include:
[D] Ps 34:1 I will bless the LORD at all times; His praise shall continually be in my mouth.
[D] Ps 35:28 And my tongue shall declare Your righteousness [and] Your praise all day long.
[D] Ps 61:8 So I will sing praise to Your name forever, that I may pay my vows day by day.
[D] Ps 63:3 Because Your lovingkindness is better than life, my lips will praise You. 4 So I will bless You as long as I live; I will lift up my hands in Your name.... 5b my mouth offers praises with joyful lips.
[?] Ps 71:6 By You I have been sustained from [my] birth; You are He who took me from my mother's womb; My praise is continually of You.... 8 My mouth is filled with Your praise and with Your glory all day long.... 14 But as for me, I will hope continually, and will praise You yet more and more.
[D] Ps 86:12 I will give thanks to You, 0 Lord my God, with all my heart, And will glorify Your name forever.
[?] Ps 104:33 I will sing to the LORD as long as I live; I will sing praise to my God while I have my being.
[?] Ps 119:164 Seven times a day I praise You, because of Your righteous ordinances.
[?] Ps 146:2 I will praise the LORD while I live; I will sing praises to my God while I have my being.
(7) Other passages about hungering for the plan/program of God include:
[A] Ps 77:111 shall remember the deeds of the LORD; Surely I will remember Your wonders of old. 12 I will meditate on all Your work and muse on Your deeds. 13 Your way, 0 God, is holy; What god is great like our God?
[?] Ps 111:2 Great are the works of the LORD; [They are] studied by all who delight in them. 3 Splendid and majestic is His work, and His righteousness endures forever. 4 He has made His wonders to be remembered; The LORD is gracious and compassionate.
(8) Other passages about hungering for the precepts of God include:
[?] Ps 1:2 But his delight is in the law of the LORD, And in His law he meditates day and night.
[D] Ps 40:8 I delight to do Your will, 0 my God; Your Law is within my heart.
[?] Ps 112:1 . . . How blessed is the man who fears the LORD, Who greatly delights in His commandments.
[?] Ps 119:20 My soul is crushed with longing after Your ordinances at all times.... 40 Behold, I long for Your precepts.... 47 I shall delight in Your commandments, Which I love. 48 And I shall lift up my hands to Your commandments, Which I love; And I will meditate on Your statutes.... 70 Their heart is covered with fat, [But] I delight in Your law.... 1741 long for Your salvation, O LORD, And Your law is my delight.
[?] Ps 130:6 My soul [waits] for the Lord More than the watchmen for the morning; [Indeed, more than] the watchmen for the morning.
(9) This superscription appears in 56 psalms, 39 by David. Of these, 11 appear without further notation in various genre.
(10) Relevant passages include:
Isa 55:1 Ho! Every one who thirsts, come to the waters; And you who have no money come, buy and eat. Come, buy wine and milk without money and without cost. 2 Why do you spend money for what is not bread, and your wages for what does not satisfy? Listen carefully to Me, and eat what is good, and delight yourself in abundance.