Sunday, February 17, 2013

God is in control

GOD UNLIMITED
Dr. Paul Manuel—2011

Everything that happens in this world is under God's sovereign control, which He exercises in conjunction with man's free will. That is, He is able to integrate our (micro) choices into His (macro) plan without those choices in any way altering that plan.

We perceive God's working in two basic ways: directly (supernaturally) and indirectly (providentially) although, from His perspective, there is little difference between them. From our perspective, the difference is that the former is overt (obvious) whereas the latter is covert (obscure). Moreover, His providential (behind-the-scenes) activity appears to us on a sliding scale from more evident to less evident, depending on our proximity to the nexus of the event. In other words, the more an event affects us, the more attuned we would be to His involvement.

Unlike God's supernatural work, where His role is immediately evident to those in attendance, His providential work may not be immediately evident. There may be a delay in one's realization (or recognition), pending other events or further reflection. Moreover, the extent of that delay may depend on the relevance (or proximity) of the event to the person in question.

For example, I awaken on Monday and want to accomplish two tasks: begin my sermon preparation and do some hospital visitation. I decide to start with the sermon and go to the hospital that afternoon. From my perspective, given what I know, the order does not matter. I arrive at the hospital and learn that the patient's doctor has just given him the results of an important test, which he relates to me, enabling me to pray more specifically for his condition. When I initially ordered my schedule for the day, I was unaware how God would use other events, like the doctor's visit, to make my time more effective.

Had I chosen to reverse the order in my schedule, it would have changed what I did but, as I live in obedience to God, it would not have reduced the effectiveness of my ministry, simply shifted that effectiveness to another area (presumably sermon preparation, although something unplanned or unexpected is possible as well). Success is guaranteed for all who serve Him, and He is able to meet the needs of His people through a multitude of channels. Regardless of whether or not we are living in obedience, though, God is not limited by our choices.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Relevant and civil comments are welcome. Whether there will be any response depends on whether Dr. Manuel notices them and has the time and inclination to respond or, if not, whether I feel competent to do so.
Jim Skaggs