Friday, January 6, 2017

As one approved - Of Preaching -2012

OF PREACHING
Dr. Paul Manuel—2012

There is a fallacy among Christians, particularly prevalent among Charismatics but also present among others, that equates spontaneity with spirituality and that assumes what is planned is unspiritual. Those who hold this position regard careful research and revision as hindrances to the leading of God's Spirit, as if only empty minds are attuned to the divine muse. While God can certainly direct people without any effort on their part or redirect them at the last moment, His more common method is to work through their careful examination of what He has already revealed. This is especially so for those who presume to speak for Him, which is why Paul admonishes Timothy...1
2 Tim 2:15 Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a workman who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth.
In this passage, Paul speaks about the two elements in the preacher's task: preparation and presentation. His initial imperative, "Do your best" is the antithesis of spontaneity and is a term that appears in other exhortations.2 Only by devoting himself to diligent preparation will Timothy meet with God's approbation.3

I lay no claim to being a great preacher. I am neither eloquent, nor do I possess a ready wit. My mind moves ponderously, at times haltingly, in an attempt to find the most efficient means of making a particular point. Consequently, I speak from a manuscript rather than from an outline. This is a deliberate method, for it keeps me to the task at hand and allows me to fashion precise wording.4 One criticism I have received is that I do not rely on the Spirit's leading when I am in the pulpit. When I press for a more specific description of how such guidance would be manifest, the individual is usually unable to articulate what is essentially a vague impression. ("I can't explain it, but I know it when I see it.") For many, it seems "leading of the Spirit" is synonymous with "shooting from the hip," and some preachers are, indeed, adept at the latter.5 By this, I assume people mean that I am not spontaneous, which is certainly an accurate observation. For me, the Spirit's guidance comes first and foremost in my preparation, directing my research, exposing the biblical author's thought, and shaping the structure of the sermon. While I attempt to remain sensitive to any redirection the Spirit might indicate as I present the message, if I have been attentive to his leading from the start, there will be little change at the end.

 On those rare occasions when I do depart from my prepared remarks, I am conscious of the tendency speakers have to ramble, so I try to keep such comments to a minimum. A scripted approach does place a greater burden on the congregation to follow than does spontaneous utterance. While I regret the difficulty, my job is not to entertain, and those who listen bear some responsibility to focus their attention. I have heard many engaging preachers but few who, having given people what they want, then deliver to them what they need.6 In any case, I am aware that my abilities do not lie in the field of entertainment.7 What would certainly reduce the apparent artificiality of a scripted presentation would be more time to practice during my preparation, a luxury I rarely have.

Some have noted that my preaching style is different from my teaching style. Indeed, the latter is more relaxed and free. The difference in style is because of a difference in setting. A sermon is a monologue (static), delivered (one hopes) with little interruption and (of necessity) with little interaction. A lesson is a dialogue (dynamic), conducted with (sometimes) frequent interruption and (often) welcomed interaction. The preacher has one opportunity to make himself clear, so his communication must be both careful and concise. The teacher may have several opportunities, depending on the response of the students, to review or restate his material. These different settings are what allow and make appropriate the different styles. To employ from the pulpit the more relaxed approach of the classroom, without also having the ability to assess the effectiveness of one's presentation and make the appropriate revisions, would invite miscommunication.

In my preparation, I often spend hours on just one paragraph. Some people might consider that excessive; for me it is necessary. Paul's charge to Timothy, "Do your best," demands a potentially time-consuming but unavoidable process if one is to satisfy the object of that imperative, which is not presenting the sermon (or lesson) to a congregation but presenting it "to God." This is the second element of Paul's admonition and the highest aspiration anyone can have—to please God. In fact, the apostle presents only two possible outcomes: Do your best and be approved by God, or do less and be ashamed before God. Understanding the task in those stark terms helps to focus one's efforts. Careful preparation is also what enables me to present the material with assurance that what I am saying is as accurate as I can be.8 It means that I rarely have to retract or revise what I have said in the pulpit. Others may project authority through the forcefulness of their personality or the eloquence of their speech. The only way I can speak with authority is through careful and prayerful study. It is this kind of action that leads to divine approval.9

In addition to Paul's admonition, James' warning is also a constant and sober reminder of my responsibility.10
James 3:1 Let not many [of you] become teachers, my brethren, knowing that as such we will incur a stricter judgment.
Ultimately, my desire is to receive the same divine approval and aid that Ezra received. As the author of the book which bears his name wrote,
Ezra 7:9c ...the gracious hand of his God was on him. 10 For Ezra had devoted himself to the study and observance of the Law of the LORD, and to teaching its decrees and laws in Israel.
Surely I (or any preacher) could ask for nothing better than to have "the gracious hand" of God upon me.

For a pdf including Endnotes see here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Relevant and civil comments are welcome. Whether there will be any response depends on whether Dr. Manuel notices them and has the time and inclination to respond or, if not, whether I feel competent to do so.
Jim Skaggs