Monday, February 15, 2021

The Question -2021

Dr. Paul Manuel—2020

 

     The question I and many others have asked, especially if they are able to view the approaching end of life with some perspective, is why God delays their end and does not take them sooner. Often, the reason is simply unknown, as are many of God’s ways. In some cases, God’s reasoning appears capricious, without rhyme or discernable reason. In any case, God’s purpose is often inscrutable, something we may suspect but about which we are not certain this side of eternity:

My thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways My ways…. As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways and My thoughts than your thoughts. (Isa 55:8-9)

Yet, in other cases some people may discern it is to highlight an aspect of His grace in supporting them through a difficult, perhaps painful period.

My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness. (2 Cor 12:9)

It may also be to allow them time to complete a task God has for them. In my case, and being without pain, I assume the latter, although I still do not know the task nor assume (falsely) it is only one, as if He is so restricted. That God often does more than one thing at a time evinces His deity: He is the preeminent multitasker. Only in hindsight do I sometimes realize that a short conversation or a brief document may have a larger impact than immediate circumstances suggest. Perhaps where this possibility is most obvious is with the advent of the internet and the prospect it presents to post something I have written.

     I am aware of and grateful for God’s having given me the ability to express my thoughts clearly in writing, which also makes possible the chance to publish them (internet) and make them available to a wide audience, perhaps having a greater impact than what I initially suspected or even thought possible. While my greatest desire is that my thoughts reflect His thoughts, I realize that is a distance I will never bridge. Although I cannot understand why any of my writings would be more valuable than those of others, activity on the blog suggests the curious find it so.

     If I were to choose two documents that might be somewhat close to God’s thoughts, it would be those on which I have had the most opportunity to reflect and revise, namely certain sermons and essays, such as, “Kashrut: To Eat or Not to Eat” (1 Tim 4:1-5) and “An Essay on Free Will.” Of the many I have written, these two are recent compositions and may reflect some maturity of thought.

     If such endeavors are nothing else, they are encouragement to continue as long as God allows. I do not presume to understand His grace, but it does become clearer over time. What is always evident is the repeated testimony of scripture:

The Lord is good (Ps 34:8; 100:5; 106:1; 107:1; 118:1, 29; 135:3; 136:1; 145:9)

That is the most important answer to the question.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Relevant and civil comments are welcome. Whether there will be any response depends on whether Dr. Manuel notices them and has the time and inclination to respond or, if not, whether I feel competent to do so.
Jim Skaggs